My First Great Show of Good Manners

I like most of the things about My New Home. But I don't appreciate certain activities happening here. 

Every time I wake up and get out of My New Bed, they pick me up and walk to the balcony and ask me to pee there. Every time I sniff around, they immediately take me to the balcony. No one has ever made me do such things in the past. 

Also, it does not always happen there for me in the balcony. I feel more like peeing in the living room. I see they don't want it to happen but it happens...because I want it to happen. 

Yesterday was a day of disobedience from both sides.  In the night, I settled down in my bed after some intense activity with dad and big B. It was great fun and I was full of energy at that time. 

Slowly my eyes shut and I was going into deep sleep. I heard mom and dad talking about my peeing habits and went into their sleeping place wondering what I will do in the night.

It is a bliss when your bed is already made for you to just hop in.

Well into the night, I know I got to call them. So, I go near the door behind which they disappear every night - their sleeping place.

I let out a small bark..they do not mind. I do a repeat. Now I hear them whispering. 

"Chezhi is calling". 

"Oh yes, wonder if she needs something to eat...".

No, that is my least intention guys. Wake up. 

This time, I am a bit louder. In a moment or two, the door opens with dad coming out first and mom following. 

"What is it luv?". I just keep quiet. 

"Chellam, are you hungry?" I sit down.

Please get me right.

"Want us to hold you?" I don't move a bit. 

Their eyes scanned the living room and the space near the balcony. "Oh, there is some poop"; "Did you poop there luv?" 

I lift my head slightly. 

I tried my best...and I want you to know that.

After being with me for more than three days, they understand me well when I look at them this way. Yes, it is an act of accepting my doing. 

"It is okay da. We will clean it". 

I go to my bed and settle down.

They find this interesting. "Oh, she has called us to inform what she has done". 

"It is absolutely interesting as she never attempted to seek our attention while we are asleep".

"Yes, she did not poo in the living area; that is great".

"Chezhi is moving closer to where we want her to pee".

"Hopeful she will not use the living area for relieving herself anymore".

I am hopeful too. But now, I need some sleep. Hope you realize it is midnight.

I hope they turn the lights off soon after cleaning.

It is a relief when you unburden your mind b'cos you can sleep well.

What did mommy learn today?

Today's Lessons

While it is a great joy to have these fur balls around, house training puppies may not be as joyful if not planned properly. Have a schedule, stick to it what may, never raise your voice, give rewards when the puppy does things right and keep repeating.

Never ignore your puppy's calls at night. It may be to pee or it may be out of fear for something. Not responding their midnight calls will not help build confidence in your puppy.

Puppies may wake you at night to pee. It is fine as long as they mean business. But if they get playful remember not to encourage play at night. For all you know, it may not be a one-day affair as they may want to party every night and start waking you up. Hence, if your puppy wakes up during sleep, attend to her needs and just ensure the puppy is settled. Reserve your hugging and cuddling for daytime. 

Comments

Popular Posts